Blackwater Val - William Gorman
Richard is travelling back to Blackwater Valley to honour his wife Michelle's final wishes of scattering her ashes on her birthday in their hometown. His wife whilst battling Leukemia was killed by a hit and run.
Travelling with him was their young daughter Katie. Katie is an exceptional girl with inherited powers. Katie can see ghosts, but it doesn't stop there, she can also heal people and animals by removing their illnesses and also get them to see what she can see. Nobody else knows how special she is except her dad.
Whilst in Blackwater, Richard takes time to reconnect with Michelle's family and his old school friend Tommy, who due to his own loss ended up getting into trouble.
Unbeknown to the residents of Blackwater, evil has established itself in their small town. Ancient plague pits opening up all over town, unexplained deaths and birth deformities in animals are just the start.
Throughout the trip Katie's life is in danger but no one is aware of this until near the end. With the help of Tommy and a local witch can Richard save his little girl?
The history of the town and the local residents idiosyncrasies kept the story flowing and gained my interest. From the moment I started reading, I was hooked.
Richard's memories of growing up in Blackwater and his time with Michelle show how raw his grief is, and it is incredibly moving.
Whilst reading this book you sense that something is going to happen and when it does it is big!
This is the first book I have read by this author and it won't be the last.
If you like Stephen King, then William R Gorman is an author you need to look out for.